Thursday, 3 January 2013

Coming Out: A Never-Ending Process

I've just read a great blog post about coming out, which has got me thinking (again) about the whole process. I always say I came out at 14, but of course that's not strictly true. What I mean by that is I told my best friends (via email - my bestie responded with I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but everyone else took a little bit longer, and it's a process that's still not really over. It never will be.

How many times do you refer to a gay person as 'out'? What you're saying, in effect, is that they're out to you. That's all. There is a perception that coming out is a single act, that one day you're sitting quietly in your closet and hoping that no-one looks at you too closely, and the next day you've emerged in a shower of rainbow flags and glitter and from that point on everybody knows, for better or worse - but that simply isn't true.

Continue reading at KateAaron.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the debate!